Monday, February 16, 2009

Remote Trigger round-up

This morning, Pocket Wizard announced new models that really push the technology of wirelessly triggering flashes and cameras.
David Hobby and Chase Jarvis have talked about them in detail on their blogs.

When I bought my remote flash triggers, I bought the cheapest ones possible because at the time, I didn't need a huge range - I just wanted to be free of cables. They have served me well, and have more than made up for their ridiculously low cost. They're not completely reliable, but for most shoots they're fine. If they fail, I just take another shot. Unfortunately, that dosen't work out quite so well with shooting film.
I will say that I've found that they work much better with studio strobes - I use them with 1/8" to PC cables and I hang the triggers from the metal mount of the strobes. I wonder if that combination gives better reception - and if the higher synch voltage somehow helps.
Regardless, I've shot film from 20 - 30 feet away with 3 flashes and had a very good hit rate - about 1 or 2 flash failure in 2 rolls of 120 film.

This brings me to the point of this blog entry - I need to upgrade.
So let's review (what I consider to be) the options...


1 - Pocket Wizards

Pocket Wizards are the gold standard of wireless triggers. You buy them. They work. Period.
Because of their design, there is such a small transmission delay that they can be used to trigger both remote cameras and flashes in the same shot. At up to 1600 feet away.
There aren't many professional photographers not using these, and I don't know of anything else used by magazine sports shooters that use multiple cameras.
Some strobes and meters even come with Pocket Wizard receivers/transmitters built-in.
They used to be just triggers, though - just telling a flash/camera when to fire. With today's announcement, now they can relay information from the camera, enabling wireless TTL.
They are expensive, though - even with the current $25-off coupon, the cheapest transceivers are $165 each - and you need at least 2, plus the necessary cables to connect them.
The cost of the new models may offset the cost of cables as they connect via hotshoe to both camera and flash.


2 - CyberSync by Paul C. Buff

Made by the same company that makes AlienBees strobes, these triggers have received great reviews. Working at up to 400 feet, they cost $60 for the transmitter, $70 for the receiver.
There's also a CyberSync Commander which is due to be released shortly and looks to be amazing if you shoot with AlienBees.
Since I don't use AlienBees, I don't really have a need for the Commander, but the CyberSyncs look really good.


3 - Elinchrom EL Skyport

There are numerous comparisons made between the Skyports and the CyberSync. The Skyports are slightly more expensive at $99 for both trigger and receiver, but they use a rechargeable batter instead of AA or AAA batteries.
Because of this, they are a little smaller and I think look better.
Personally, I prefer the idea of the proprietary battery in the Skyport. I would be using rechargeables anyway, and plugging everything in to charge is part of my normal routine.


4 - Radiopopper JrX

This is the product I plan on buying once it's released. Put simply, it's the best of all of the other triggers in one.
It has a range of over 1600 feet, allows for manual adjustment of remote lights - but the best part is the cost.
At $99 for a transmitter and receiver set, it's a steal compared to other triggers.
Plus, with the $249 transmitter, the bottom-of-the-line JrX will sync at speeds up to 1/8000 with any strobe.
Upgrading to the $249 receiver gets you wireless TTL as well, but it looks like the new Pocket Wizard may have an impact on sales for Radiopopper.


For a simple wireless trigger, the JrX can't be beat for my money.

I have read other reviews where people downplay the importance of a long range with these triggers. Not many people shoot 1600 feet away from their flashes, but if the signal is strong enough to travel that far in the open, it will probably be able to pass through 3 or 4 walls indoors. So the distance isn't of significance, except that it hints at the signal strength, which is what we're going for - a completed circuit every time.

Stay tuned for updates as I make a purchase and actually use them!

No comments: