Friday, February 20, 2009

Canon G9

I recently picked up a Canon G9 so I'd have a more portable camera to have with me when an SLR is just too much camera. So far, I've been very happy with it.
It's a big switch for me - letting the camera choose all the settings and *gulp* shooting in JPG may take some more time (I shoot JPG + RAW), but so far the results have been really great. I'm looking forward to taking it out and about like I do with the SLR and seeing how it turns out.

So far, the only issue I've had is with using a gelled flash in the hotshoe. When shooting indoors, a CTS filter lives on my 580 EXII, but the camera likes to keep the white balance to 'Flash'. The workaround is to set a custom white balance, which is quick and easy and might even give better results. Need to check this out some more.

The reason I went for the G9 and not the newer G10 is because Canon removed the time-lapse video feature on the G10. I've already made some videos with this feature and have more uses in mind.
Will post some examples here at a later date.

No comments: