Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Team Amstellardam Photo Shoot


Team Amstellardam
Originally uploaded by d double u

This week, I did a shoot with Team Amstellardam, a filmmaker team with a short that's about to hit film festivals.
We shot at the American Beauty Mill in Dallas, which used to be a flour mill warehouse but is now lofts. There really wasn't a bad place to shoot throughout the building, so we made the most of the day shooting in various locations.
The team had some great ideas on how the photos should look and collaborating with them made the day go smoothly. The outside shots were a little tough on account of the cold weather, but I think the excitement of the shoot got us through that!

For the shots around the table, I went for a modified version of the snooted flash shots used by British photographer Nick Turpin, as seen in this video. Without having assistants pointing the flashes, I went with four flashes on stands and a much less restrictive snoot than seen in the Nick Turpin video. This gave more of a spotlight look than a "shaft of light" look.

For the outdoor shots, I went with my trusty (and simple) setup of cross lighting with two Vivitar 285s. Coupled with Quantum battery packs, the Vivitars really can't be beat for 90% of what I shoot. More on that in a future post!

All in all, it was a fun day of shooting and I'm happy with the way the shots turned out. I'm looking forward to the future success of Team Amstellardam!

No comments: