Sunday, August 8, 2010

Ray Flash adapter on a shoot


Doublewide Parking Lot Pool Party
Originally uploaded by d double u

Last week, I decided to try using the Ray Flash ring flash adapter along with off-camera flashes - something I wanted to do in a studio setting but haven't had a chance to do yet. I used this setup at the Double Wide Parking Lot Pool Party, which took place in the parking lot of a local bar. I set up three off-camera flashes, which were triggered by Radio Poppers. The transmitter was plugged in to the PC port on my 5D, which left the hotshoe available for a 580 EXII with the Ray Flash adapter.
Ideally, the ring flash would provide fill, maybe 1 stop below the off-camera flashes. In a studio setting, this is easy to do since the lighting remains constant. Running around the parking lot, I set the ring flash to E-TTL, letting the camera determine the flash level. Since the light was different depending on where I was, the flash level wasn't consistent, but it always looked quite good.
The ring flash gave great fill-in light from the camera direction and with a little tweaking in Photoshop gives a lot of depth to the photos.
I plan on trying this setup again in a studio setting.

No comments: