Sunday, March 21, 2010

Cheap Trick with a Holga. Ray flash ordered.

This past week I was in Austin running sound for the Ray Johnston Band at South by Southwest (SXSW). I managed to take some photos and videos of the scene in and around Sixth Street, ground zero for the music happenings. I also managed to be lucky enough to make it to the photo pit when Cheap Trick played at the massive outdoor stage by the river. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on the outcome!) the only camera I had were my G9 point and shoot and my Holga! Will have to wait and see how the photos turn out, but I don't feel very confident that the Kodak 400VC film I used was the best choice for such an occasion.
Dallas is once again covered in a blanket of snow, yet another opportunity to take more great snow photos!

I have a wedding shoot coming up this week also, and decided that I would try out the Ray Flash ringflash adapter. I really wanted to get the Orbis ring flash adapter instead as I believe it has a better quality of light, but all the extras that I'd need to buy to get it to work would just make it too expensive. On top of the adapter itself is the sync cord to trigger the flash and the bracket to hold it in place around the lens. For such a secondary piece of equipment, I think the less expensive Ray flash will suffice for my needs. I hope to have some comments up once I start using it.

1 comment:

KatieMac said...

I shot with the Orbis a while ago and hated it. It's heavy, wobbly, and altogether unwieldly. Looking forward to reading your experience with the Ray flash.